Bridgewater received its charter on February 12, 1788, when it was part of the town of New Chester. New Chester encompassed a land area from Franklin, NH to Plymouth, NH. New Chester was separated into Bridgewater and Hill, and at a later date, was further divided into Bristol, Danbury, and Wilmot. Early settlers of the area were from Bridgewater, Massachusetts, giving the town its name. Bridgewater was officially incorporated by John Sullivan, who was President of New Hampshire before the title was changed to Governor. The town line follows the eastern shore of Newfound Lake.